This made the front page of Care2, vote for it yo
Since me n’ Tiff bought and moved into our bodacious townhome last summer, we’ve changed a lot about it. A big thing we changed was the kitchen; with the help of Leon, Bil-lay, and 10, we took out a lot of old and put in a lot of used (new for us) things. I saved a lot of what we took out (nails, wood, etc.), and have reused those materials to make some new things.
For Valentines’ Day, I made Tiff a kitchen island with these saved materials. I started with not much, but with a lil’ gumption and elbow grease, the kitchen island was completed. Here is its story…
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. With this handy advice in my noggin, I drew out the plans for the island. I wanted to make it the same height as our counters, and also make sure that there was enough room for our trash can to fit in it. Before I show you my plans, please remember that they are copyrighted, so if you copy them I’ll sue your pants off.
I reused nails that I had taken out of old pieces of wood. Some (most) of the nails were bent, therefore I had to straighten them out to use ‘em.
I used some old wooden posts to build the top frame.
Here’s the wood I saved from the kitchen remodeling. Yayo is guarding it.
I also had to use the ol’ saw to cut lots of 2x4s — two-bys, as we say in construction lingo, but I digress…
To attach the posts to the bottom platform, I used the unbent nails and some ol’ fashioned glue.
And voila, we have half of the bottom platform. The other half will be a mirror image o’ this one.
The next step wasn’t too hard. Just put the above platform onto a frame made with 2x4s, nails, and love.
I then figured that the middle of the platform might be weak, so I engineered in a special wooden piece to exponentially increase the middle of the platform’s strength. Apparently, I took this next picture as I was running by, hence the blurriness.
As you can probably tell, by this point it’s getting dark. Luckily I can expand my pupils at will. So I pressed on, and finished the other half of the bottom platform. I then connected the top frame to hold the whole thing together.
Here’s a picture where I actually USED the flash.
By now this beast of a kitchen island was almost done, but I wanted to make sure that it was muy fuerte. So I built some side supports out of our old door frame. Speaking of the old door frame, here’s part of it now.
I used some clamps to hold the side supports in place after I glued them. While they were clamped, I used some screws to attach them securely.
Phew, that was a lot of work. The next day, I primed the whole thing, and then painted it white. After that, I screwed on the wheels (they were the only non-reused thing I used to make this).
Finally, the last big step was to use construction adhesive to glue down the old counter top. After letting the adhesive dry for about a day, I presented the brand new homemade kitchen island to Tiff for Valentine’s Day. Here you can see a picture of it in all its glory, as Yayo does a quick walk-by inspection of it.
In conclusion, ’twas fun to reuse all the old wood, nails, and the old counter top, and turn them into something new and useful. I hope you enjoyed this presentation, and may you have a t-riffic day.