Many moons ago, the American Indians used to celebrate Thanksgiving the right way — the green way. Then the pilgrims came along, and ol’ Gaea wasn’t invited to many more Thanksgiving dinners after that.
Well, I say it’s time to slide back a chair, dust it off, and offer Mother Earth a seat at an ol’ fashioned green Thanksgiving this year.
Green Thanksgiving Foods
- Wild food – forage through your local woods for edible plants. Mushrooms are always a tasty treat. Don’t forget your protein-packed pal, the grubworm!
- Reused food – you’d be shocked and appalled at the food that some businesses throw out. Save this food from the landfill! A barely-expired can of cranberries can make a sumptuous side dish to complement a locally-found bird or deer.
- Clover leaves – a young EcoJoe used to eat this at summer camp, fried up with some butter. Bring this dish out if people are having trouble thinking of things to be thankful for.
- Water – known by some as “nature’s wine”, this clear fluid can be collected in rain barrels or dips in the ground. Instant thirst quencher!
Green Thanksgiving Decorations
Eco-friendly food isn’t going to be enough to wow the pilgrims n’ Indians at your green Thanksgiving. Don’t forget the green Thanksgiving decorations!
- Headdress – use the feathers from your locally-caught bird to fashion a festive headdress. A sure crowd pleaser!
- Pumpkins – pumpkins and gourds have long been used in cornucopias. Reuse your Halloween jack-o-lantern for Thanksgiving.
- Pilgrim Hat – show off your DIY skills by tightening a belt around a fedora. Presto hey, a pilgrim is you!
- Fall Centerpiece – top off your table with a splendid fall centerpiece made with leaves and acorns. Great for a last-second, Hail Mary green decoration.
I appreciate you taking the time to peruse these green Thanksgiving tips, and hope you’ll invite Mother Earth back into your home for this Thanksgiving. Here’s to a healthier planet *raises cup of nature’s wine*
BONUS ECO-FRIENDLY TIPS
If you’re looking for more green celebration tips, por favor check these out: